Monday, September 2, 2013

Bread Crumbs - Homemade


Bread crumbs are very easy to make and can contribute to a frugal kitchen.  The only thing you need to make this product is stale bread, and who doesn't occasionally have a few slices that go stale!


Ingredients:
  • Bread - If I have a few pieces left from a loaf I'll toss those in a plastic bag and store in the freezer till I have enough slices to make it worth my while.


Slice bread and place in oven to toast.  Some ladies I know let the bread sit out on the counter or windowsill till crisp.



Once toasted crumble by hand and place in food processor.








Blend till the majority of bread has turned into crumbs.



I like to use my sifter to separate the larger pieces from the crumbs, but if you don't have a sifter you can use a strainer.










Then re-process large crumbs.












This is an in between size of crumb that I sometimes use for homemade casseroles as a bottom layer.









Here is a sample of the finished crumb.











I use a plastic container I found at Goodwill to store the crumbs.


No comments:

Post a Comment